Camp Wekeela’s Back to School Healthy Tips
It’s that time of year, from kindergarten to college, kids are heading back to school. Here’s what you need to know about keeping your family healthy.
Focus on nutrition & exercise:
- Start the day right with a healthy breakfast and continue the day with healthy snacks.
- Avoid added sugar that will lead your child to crash during the school day.
- Enroll kids in after school activities where possible, enjoy a walk or bike ride with your kids whenever possible, and encourage them to move. If parents engage in physical activity, their kids will follow along.
- Stay hydrated and drink lots of water throughout the school day!
Know the risks children can face:
- Talk about bullying and school related stress & anxiety before school starts.
- Check for head lice before and after the first day of school.
- Get a health screening before going back to school.
- Have vision and hearing checked.
- Make sure backpacks fit well and aren’t too heavy.
Make sleep a priority
- Power down electronics one hour before bedtime.
- Keep electronics out of bedrooms.
- Avoid exercise and warm showers before bedtime.
- Have a routine, go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day!
To our former campers and Junior Counselors starting their senior year of high school, don’t stress out. Yes, you should continue to work hard, but make sure to enjoy your senior year because a year from now you’ll be on your way to college. That being said, to our former campers heading to college, we wish you all the best of luck. Set your goals, work hard to achieve them, and all of your dreams will come true.
Wishing our campers a great rest of the summer and a fantastic start of the school year! And keep those campfires burning; Camp Wekeela, starts June 22, 2019!!