Leadership in Training Program
Wekeela’s Leadership in Training program for teens entering 11th grade features four core elements:
- Community Service
- College Tours & Prep
- Another Magical Summer at Wekeela
Your teen will be on the cutting edge, helping to define this fantastic opportunity to spend another memorable summer with their closest friends while leaving a lifelong impact on each other and Wekeela. L.I.T.’s will help define their summer. They will:
- be the liaison between campers and staff.
- learn skills to help them work with children.
- get first opportunity to apply to be a Junior Counselor
The L.I.T.’s will assist instructors or Cabin Leaders two periods per day. This provides them with valuable community service hours. L.I.T.’s will receive the service hours via a formal letter. While at Wekeela, L.I.T.’s will also have an opportunity to enjoy their favorite camp activities three periods a day.
While at Wekeela, L.I.T.’s have the opportunity to learn the valuable responsibly of taking care of other people’s children. The Leaders in Training shadow and learn from the amazing Wekeela staff to be the best leader they can be.
There are several things that make this program unique. They are as follows:
*** Due to COVID-19, all outside camp trips and tours have been postponed for summer 2021 and will hopefully return in 2022.
The Leadership in Training Program evolves every year at Camp Wekeela. Some of the amazing Volunteer Opportunities of the past have been:
- 2016-2019: New Orleans, LA - L.I.T.’s assisted in community organization activities in beautiful New Orleans.
- 2016-2019: Camp Sunshine - Located on Maine's beautiful Sebago Lake, L.I.T.’s earned community service hours working closely with families affected by life-threatening childhood illnesses.
- 2019: Friends of Casco Bay Ocean and Environmental Protection; City of Auburn, World of Change.
- 2020: Pinky Swear Foundation.